Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Epic Weekend

So I have now been in Cape Town for three weeks. I really can't believe it. It has gone by so quickly and I'm constantly on the run doing as much as I possibly can, these 5 months are going to fly by.

This weekend was quite an exciting one. On Friday, I attended my first rugby game! It was very entertaining, but it was just the South African league, and not a very big game so it wasn't too crazy. I am planning on seeing the Springboks, which is the international team, sometime soon.

I slept for about two hours that night because I was picked up at 4 am to go shark cage diving!! It is prime season for seeing sharks, and I went to an area where they are densely populated, right next to and island that is COVERED in seals. Literally covered, it was awesome. So we took a boat about 30 minutes out into the ocean and went at it. The cage is connected to the boat, and you hold yourself out of water until a sharks comes near you. I was lucky enough to have a shark attack a tuna right in front of me, it was terrifying but soooo awesome at the same time. By the end of the day we had seen 6 different great whites. It was quite the day.



On Sunday, a few friends and myself made our way to Muizenberg via train. Muizenberg is a very popular surf spot in Cape Town, so we thought we should give it a try. I did indeed attempt to surf, pretty unsuccessfully but it was very fun. I will definitely be going again soon to try to improve my skills. My roommates boyfriend is now obsessed and only talks about how big the swells are each day. It is hilarious. After surfing we rode the train to Kalk Bay, and ate a delicious dinner at Kalky's. It is a restaurant right on the bay that serves the fish that was caught in the morning. It was amazing, and very cheap for being fresh fish. I had salmon and it was quite tasty.

Now I'm going to mention some of my classes, basically for my mother's benefit. I am taking 4: Psychology of Religion, Religion in Africa, 'Race', Class, and Gender, and African Dance. They are all going to be great, but Psych of Religion is really challenging but I know I will learn so much. African Dance is also amazing! We are having so much fun and learning tons, so I'll have to come home and show off all of my new moves. I am loving UCT, the campus is gorgeous and there is such a diverse faculty and student body. It is refreshing to learn from a different perspective, and I have been learning a lot about racism in South Africa in my sociology class, and it is great to hear it from people who experienced it.

This weekend may even out-do the last. We don't have school on Monday because it is National Women's Day (which is bad-ass, the states should take some lessons) so we are going to do some of the Garden Route. It is a stretch of coastal towns from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth and it is known for it's impeccable beauty. There are many places to stop and stay along the way, with a variety of activities. It is my roommates 21st on Sunday, so we are going to go bungee jumping in celebration, off of the highest bungee bridge in the world. Pretty excited for that one. We are also going to monkey land, where you walk through a cage and monkeys are everywhere around you, kind of the opposite of a zoo. It is supposed to be great.

I will fill everyone in next week on my Garden Route experiences, and hopefully get some pictures up sometime soon. There are too many things to distract me here and I have been slacking, but it will happen.

Have a beautiful week!

1 comment:

  1. Lex that all sounds amazing! Glad to hear you're having such a great time. Even if you don't have time to post a blog you should still jot down a journal entry of what you did each day or things you saw so that you can fill me in when you get back to the states! Love you!

    ReplyDelete